Monday, October 26, 2015

Blonde Hair Black Market

 "One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple."  

Psalms 27:4. Ponderize. Week 4.

This week we have been up to our ears with preparation for the temple trip we will be taking this SATURDAY (yes, Halloween.) We helped a small branch here organize their FIRST ever trip to the temple as a branch! They are about an hour away from Pisco and have been an organized branch for 2 years-ish. They still don't have a chapel - but they love that little house chapel that they have :) We also will be taking a handful of recent converts and rescues with us from the rest of the Stake. 

OTHER great news :) Remember how I told you that we didn't have a chapel here in my area? And that we met for church in a dirt field with benches? Well.... THEY FINISHED BUILDING US A CHAPEL! And on Sunday, we will meet there! We will be having an open house to invite everyone to come and see (John 1:39). The saints here are so happy and just feel so blessed to have a chapel. And I feel so blessed and happy to be here for this historic time :)

Completely different topic. I cut my hair for the first time here in Perú this week. When you reach the point where you find single hairs.... with 6 split ends.... it is time. I guess 1 year of constant sun exposure, ponytails and bucket showers will do that to ya. 
I was 100% terrified to cut my hair here. Down to strangers on the STREET try to reach out and touch my hair, just because they have never seen blonde hair before. Plus there is a black market of hair here in the south of Perú. Bottom line, I was pretty wary of letting a Peruvian anywhere near me with scissors. Don't get me wrong - I love Peruvians. But I would like my hair to not end up in a black market.

So, I gathered up my courage and took my record setting split ends to the nicest looking barbershop that I could find here in Pisco (the options were very few). When I walked in, the eyes of everyone there turned into saucers. When I explained that I needed a TRIM, JUST A LITTLE BIT CUT OFF, PLEASE... they rushed me into the closest chair and started running their fingers through my hair, asking how much I wanted for all of it. I had committed my companion to be my wing woman and make SURE that they did not take off more than I wanted. She was laughing so hard that she couldn't even talk. (Yeah, real funny. I was about to have a heart attack.)  After denying the highest offer for my whole head of hair ($50, tempting, no?), they started away with the scissors. Thankfully, after BOLDLY explaining that I was only there to take off my horrible split ends and NOTHING more, they did a good job. When I finished and went to stand up from the chair, I realized that there was not a single hair there on the floor. I wondered where it all must have gone... because they had definitely cut hair off. It was then that I saw the apron pockets of the woman who had cut my hair - brimming with blonde hairs. Maybe those ones made it to the black market... who knows. But the one thing I do know is that no matter how bad my split ends get in these next 6 months, I will NOT be cutting my hair again here.

Well, there is the news for this week :) I love you all and pray that your week is full of miracles. 
Don't forget to go to the temple this week and inquire of Him there in His house. 

The doctrine is true!
Hermana Sintay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment